Deann using my trusty pick during our long drive...

Traffic was less than we had anticipated so we were able to take our time and shop, eat breakfast and change currency. We were so busy "killing time" that, in the end, we actually almost missed our flight! Our run to the plane rivaled the Home Alone scene. Of course all of the escalators happened to be out of order that day too but we made it to the gate, albeit sweating profusely, and happily boarded the plane for our 2.5 hour flight.
Thank goodness I was on my way to vacation and my mood was great otherwise there may have been a report of two "lost" kids from a BA flight to Dubrovnik. The mother behind me had twins that proceeded to kick my seat and scream the entire time. I can't imagine what it would be like to try to keep two, two year olds happy on a flight but she had clearly given up. Trying to keep karma on my side for when that crazed mother is me, I kept my "turn and glares" through the seat crack to a minimum. :)
We landed in Dubrovnik right on time and the weather was amazing. Mid eighties and only a few clouds. FINALLY some summer! I was so excited to be there that I even took a picture of the airport. ha!

Our hotel had arranged two cabs for us so we hopped right in and ooh'd and ahh'd the entire way into old town. In very unlike Lara fashion, I had done ZERO research as to what Croatia was all about or what it even looked like. Having the surprise of dark blue waters along the mountainous terrain wasn't at all what I expected. It was simply stunning. And, even though the view through the car window wasn't perfect, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to take a few pictures. This was definitely the start of an amazing vacation!!

Our hotel inside of old town was really a collection of apartments all owned by the same woman. Old town is really beautiful with it's large squares and stone streets...but when you have a large suitcase, all you can really see are massive crowds and never ending stairs.

Finally at the top, I had to take the time to enjoy the view back to the bottom...

After a few beers and a few naps, we headed out for an awesome dinner at Gil's which is right on the old wall of the city. The weather was absolutely perfect and the sky was clear so we enjoyed both good food and a great view of the harbor from high up on the wall.


Joanna was very excited to make the first charge on her UK credit card...3 years in the making!

By the end of the meal I was exhausted but, what turned out to be a theme of the week, I tried my hardest to keep up with Joanna and my friends and ventured out to a city square filled with bars. It seemed to be a great idea at the time so we immediately ordered the 3 liter long island that we saw so many other people "enjoying."

The square was absolutely packed so we wound up talking to other tourists...and by talking I really mean decoding broken English. It was mostly a lot of smiling and nodding but overall everyone was really nice and we were all having a great time. So great in fact that my friend Hillary decided to try to keep up with the French guys at the next table. It started out with just lighting a glass full of brandy on fire and sniffing it. Well apparently using the glass got too boring and they told her they would just light the brandy in her mouth. I say "apparently" because I was at a different table and only realized what was going on when I looked over and saw her spitting flames.
You've gotta love technology because we got it all on film...
Click here for video posted on facebook
At about that time, we decided that we should probably call it a night. Playing with fire is all well and good but we had a boat to catch in the morning and figured we should save the third degree burns for another day....
No comments:
Post a Comment