Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Tulip Time!

It's no secret to anyone that I love it here in Washington. I may be one of only a few that feel this way but to me, what's not to love? It's green year round as opposed to the shades of gray (and freezing) winters that I grew up with... we're surrounded by stunning mountains although yes, I need to just imagine them most days because of the clouds blocking the view... and we can afford to rent a nice house with a FENCED IN YARD so our dogs can run free instead of pulling me on a leash four times a day. Who knew that getting older meant being truly excited about things like fences.

All that said, whether you like to live here or not, it's impossible not to love the month of April in NW Washington. Say the word "April" to anyone familiar with the area and they think "tulips." I thought fields of tulips were exclusive to the Netherlands but it turns out that we have a lot of Dutch heritage up here and I'm thrilled that they kept up the tradition.

Bobby and I went to Bellingham on Sunday and, much to my excitement, we had to drive right past the fields to get there. It was cold, windy, rainy, and gray...but I think that made the colors even more vibrant.



We're nearing the end of the season and it has been very windy but the flowers were still holding up well and I couldn't have been more thrilled to wind up and down the rows. Bobby....not as excited. However, I spent the day going through bike shops and wandering around REI so it was a fair trade. Here he is whistling and trying not to seem as bored and miserable as he really was.



It's hard to believe that this is just one of the many fields in the area...






I was finally able to get Bobby to pose in a picture with me. Those of you that know him well, or saw any of our wedding pictures, know that Bobby can't smile on demand. Luckily, he thought that squatting in mud between rows of flowers was the most ridiculous thing ever and couldn't stop laughing.





I could have stayed there for hours...



Bobby had about all that he could take though, so we finally meandered our way back to the car. However, he was nice enough to drive slowly with his window open so I could snap a few more shots of the field just down the road. Marriage is all about compromise, right!? :)




No comments:

Post a Comment